Wednesday 8 December 2010

Saw 3D


Game over? So this is the "last" film in the Saw franchise. I had thought that part five was the death of Saw. But part six really injected some energy into the franchise. So I had really high hopes going into to this. Sadly all the hard work of part six is completely undone again. As this was the last film I was expecting the final game to focus on someone moderately more connected to the previous saw films. And seeing the return of Cary Elwes as Dr. Gordon thought it would centre on him more. Although he has an essential part to play in the film it's nothing more than a cameo. Instead a completely new character plays the game this time round. I will not divulge why, as not to spoil the surprise. Needless to say the film ticks all the saw boxes, traps, plot twists, blood, guts and lashings of gore. But while there are plenty of traps on display, none of them are to the standard of previous efforts. I was glad that the Hoffman and Jill Tuck story continued. (Complete with a shocking outcome) because Detective Hoffman for me is still one of the best movie baddies of recent years. The film did end on what seems like a proper ending. Things seemed to be wrapped up nicely. But the biggest question I was left wondering was why the 3D or should i say where was the 3D? To say there is a lack of 3D elements in this film would be an understatement. I was really let down by how no effort was made. Nothing new, just a couple of cheap tricks that were used in countless 80's 3D films. It was so very clear that the 3D was an afterthought when making this film. Though not the best offering, it still felt like an appropriate ending to a genre changing franchise. But when I say ending I really wouldn't be surprised if next Halloween Saw eight hits the screens. If so please not 3D or at least make an effort.

0 comments:

Post a Comment